Monday, September 8, 2008

Chrome and the enterprise

I have run across a number of posts lately that are touting how Chrome will change the browser landscape. This may very well be true, however I just cannot see how any enterprise will really start allowing their employees to this browser officially.

Just a point of reference: most of the clients we deal with on a regular basis are still officially using IE 6 as their corporate browser. Enterprise IT approvals move slowly. As frustrating as this may seem it is for good reason. These departments are responsible for the stability and safety of the corporation's infrastructure (and all of the assest that represents). While moving slowly cuts into the ability for an organization to react quickly it also means that things are stable. If I am in charge of the infrastructure at a large enterprise I will value stability at the cost of agility in most instances.

There a number of posts I have seen lately that are excited about Chrome as it relates to SaaS, try this one for instance. I just can't see how any privacy / compliance manager at any enterprise organization will allow their employees to use Chrome, if for no other reason than all the instances where Chrome is sending browsing information back to Google. Read the privacy policy and the EULA carefully.

Let's not even mention the potential security holes.

I just cannot see how any enterprise will embrace Chrome. I am not the only one who sees things this way. Dennis Howlett at ZDNet has a good post that aligns with our exeperience in the real world here.

No comments: